Wednesday, May 20, 2015

The New Music Industry


Very few industries have as rich of a timeline than the music industry. Everything from radio, vinyl records, live performances to cassettes, compact discs and digital platforms, the music industry has been an ever growing entity through history.

Being a 90s child, cassettes were just starting to go out of style as the new compact disc was beginning to be the new wave of technology. I remember how I would always have my CD player on me with my CD album holder that could hold up to 20 CDs. Crazy, right?! Back in these days I’m sure it was much easier for artists to get their share of income as everyone was buying CDs left and right. Although CDs, cassettes and vinyls are still around, it appears that many artists feel short handed with the music sharing capabilities of the Internet.

With platforms like Spotify, SoundCloud and the new Tidal, users can pay a monthly fee to have complete access to a vast array of music. Platforms like YouTube can do the same but for no cost at all. It is too familiar that people can easily pull the audio from a free YouTube music video and upload it to his or her’s iTunes with no expenses. This is where many artist are becoming frustrated with.

Tidal, a music-sharing platform created by Jay Z, is in attempt to stop this. Various artists have joined up with Jay Z in his attempt to create a Spotify like music platform that offers high quality music and videos for users to enjoy. Users pay a monthly price, which will eventually make its way to the artists who are participating in Tidal. What may seem like the perfect solution has unfortunately fallen short. With an incredible amount of negative review and backlash, Tidal has turned into a mere ripple.


I do not have a Spotify account nor do I ever plan on getting a Tidal account. As one of my previous blogs mentions, I mainly listen to my music off of YouTube, and occasionally buy an album off of iTunes. I completely understand why musical artists are becoming concerned with what they perceive as low income, and I’m not sure how this problem can be solved.

No comments:

Post a Comment