Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Social Media and Politics


I’ve never been one to be too interested in politics. I’ve never been good at keeping up with “who’s running for what” or “what chairman has been accused of something” – it’s just never been my cup of tea.

That doesn’t mean that I’m completely clueless as to what is going on in our world, I am very fascinated by current events, however, when things get too political I find myself just skimming through to the next article.

For a few years now I have slowly watched political events make their way into the social media platforms I am on. I distinctly remember the last presidential election when everyone who voted would quickly post and “I VOTED” pin as their main status. This is when I realized that politics has made its way right onto our screens.

With the new presidential election coming up, I am slowly beginning to see a distinct rise in political posts and articles that are finding their way onto my newsfeed. One presidential candidate, Hilary Clinton, has even focused a decent amount of her campaign to social media promotion. Most notably when she created her own YouTube Account. From this she launched her announcement video, that received a wide spread of positive and negative feedback:



I feel that many political figures have created twitter accounts and various other social media accounts mainly to try and reach the younger generation of Americans. Personally I believe, when used effectively, reaching out on social media can be a great advantage to communicating to, but not limited to, the younger generation. This can be a great way to keep your followers informed of what your political goals are.


The next couple of months will be pretty interesting I’m sure as the presidential race takes over the trending movements. ­

No comments:

Post a Comment