Friday, May 29, 2015

Stream of Consciousness

As this course comes to close and graduation approaches I look back on the four years with satisfaction. I luckily spent all four years at North Central College and was able to build up a close friendship with many peers and professors along the way.

It is strange to think that the end is quickly approaching (thank goodness because I have been diagnosed with senioritus since the first day, fall term). It is extremely excising to think that within just a few weeks I will be entering the ‘real world’ with a full time job, a bachelor’s degree and aspirations waiting to make progress on. If you couldn’t tell already – I have no fear going into the ‘real world’.

I feel like I have learned so much within these last three terms at NCC. Personally and academically. Being that I have been working in a full time position in the graphic design field (the same field my degree is in) I have been fortunate enough to have a new viewpoint on the classes I take. I have begun to grasp what is important to learn and what I might not need to know after walking across the stage. Don’t take this the wrong way – I truly appreciate learning the less important things because it makes me a more educated person – a blessing robed from many. What I am trying to get at is that I have gained a sense of clarity for my life.

I highly doubt that this makes me as enlightened as a Tibetan monk but I do have to admit that it makes me feel like one every once in a while.

If this is the only thing I have grown to develop for myself after these four years then I consider my time here very accomplished. I think everything we experience in life teaches us something about ourselves and I thank NCC for teaching me the idea of clarity. I may not have my next five years planned out but that is okay. I know what I want at the beginning of everyday and I strive for it. And, that is all we have to do – just work to improve who we are and grow to be a valuable person in our communities.


I sign off on my last blog post here a very eager college senior. Where I may find myself a year from now – who knows – but I know that with the past four years in my book, I will grow to become an ambitious young adult … with student loans.

1 comment:

  1. Soon-to-be-graduate here, I think I feel very similar to you. Although I transferred in, NCC has taught me so much and I feel very lucky to be here. Also, congrats on getting a job within your field! #NCCForever

    ReplyDelete